Sunday, December 14, 2008

the "shoo-in"

I will be posting several blogs today as I've been slacking off for the last week. This one's appropriately titled due to a few silly but wondrous things along the way.
Monday. I entered Company XYZ for a walk-in and tried my luck. The reception area was huge and candy-colored like nursery. I scanned the room to see a lot of applicants dressed to the nines reviewing their CVs and looked at me for a brief second. I sat comfortably on the couch right after signing my name at the receptionist's desk. My hands were cold and clammy from nervousness. I just wanted to go home and curl up in bed. The confidence I had when I rode the cab, flew out of the window but I told myself, it's too late to go home, at least I tried should I fail this one.
My name was called and I was asked to take an accuracy test for dictation and typing, a girl named Keena smiled to calm me down. She said I was only allowed to have two errors on page.So in a matter of minutes, I was typing nervously while listening to the words of the voice-over. The page prompted that I had finished it and a message bubble appeared "10 errors on page"! Dear Lord! I failed. Keena approached me and shook her head apologetically: "I'm sorry but I cannot endorse you to the next step, you may reapply after four months", my heart fell to my shoes but.. as I got up, some sort of miracle happened.. Keena was standing beside me, ready to walk away, but she stayed,and she looked at me firmly, sighing, "Please wait at the lobby.", a glimmer of hope filled my heart but I didn't wanna entertain it because it might be some false hope she was giving out. Nearly all the applicants were done but they came out of the room, disappointed. "Was I the only one Keena believed in?" I muttered to myself.
Keena signaled me to the room and rubbed the mouse gently as she instructed me to re-take the test but this time, 50 wpm goal. Oh wow! I sat there looking at my computer with a vengeance, this time, typing with care ever so slowly and enjoying dictation like it were Typing 101. The verdict: 1 error on page, 53 wpm! Keena smiled triumphantly and said I was ready to take another exam before final interview. So I did my best and aced everything, I think I had my Oprah-Aha! moment when I finally received my job offer.
I texted Tina to say that I won the bet and she was treating me out to dinner. So I waited for her and I wanted to surprise J as well, but he wasn't replying to my messages. Oh well..
Me and Tina settled for Pancake House and she ordered like we didn't for days.. a hefty potato salad starter, chicken, hot roast, tuna mac, buttered toasts, spaghetti and tacos. As if that wasn't enough, we downed glass fulls of iced coffee beverages from Starbucks. I deserve this happy feeling. Thank you, Tina for sharing the joy of believing that I'm the one for the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on the shoerack?

Powered By Blogger

inside the shoebox

Custom Search